Thursday, December 6, 2007

What we are Reading #2

Me- 'Tis by Frank McCourt, the sequel to Angela's Ashes. I saw there is a third book too, called Teacher Man. These are autobiographical memoirs of an Irish man who grew up very poor in Limerick and returns to the US (where he was born) as a young man to make his way in the world.

cje- World War Z- an oral history of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. Speaks for itself.

M- The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman. Yes, I know the author is an atheist or agnostic or whatever- please don't forward me any warning emails. I haven't read it yet but I like the idea that he is railing against all the yucky parts of organized religion.

J- Cam Jansen and the Mystery at the Haunted House by David Adler. She did her book report last week on this gripping mystery.

K- Where Does Maisy Live? by Lucy Cousins. K continues to be fascinated by Lift the Flap.

4 comments:

Annie Gedge said...

For all the Phillip Pullman haters. I can't help it, he is a very good writer. I haven't read the Golden Compass series, but some other young adult fiction of his and well he is fabulous, realistic, and a great historical fiction writer. So well C done for letting free thoughts reign and giving him a chance.

Queen said...

Jermaine and I finished The Wednesday Letters and we want to start Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky.
You will have to tell us about the Golden Compass.

Jan said...

Just finished it last week and loved it! Apparently it isn't until the third book that he moves from bashing organized religion to bashing theism all together, but I still look forward to reading the next two. :-)

I read an excellent article by a Christian reviewer taking issue with all these people trying to ban/bash the book.

http://www.familylifeculturewatch.com/2007/11/the-controversy.html

By the way - I love keeping in touch with this blogging business! Keep the blogs coming. :-)

charles said...

We've loved all three of the Philip Pullman 'His Dark Materials' books. the movie? mehhhh.