Thursday, May 1, 2008

Great parenting site

I recently came across this parenting website when preparing a session I'm giving at the La Leche League of Georgia Area Conference. The resources on parenting 'tweens' were plentiful and very well researched and presented. Here is a tidbit from Dr. Laura Marham who runs the site:

Tweens are emerging teens, but they’re still children. They’ll astonish you with their ability to conceptualize, to argue brilliantly, and then to do foolish things.

The Middle School years are a time of magical blossoming, but like all huge transitions in our kids' lives, they’re filled with ups and downs. As with parenting toddlers, parents who don’t accept and constructively negotiate their child's blossoming independence invite rebellion, or even worse, deception.

The biggest danger for tweens is losing the connection to parents while struggling to find their place and connect in their peer world. The biggest danger for parents is trying to parent through power instead of through relationship, thus eroding their bond and losing their influence on their teen.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing! I definitely don't have any "tweens" yet (unless you count my siblings:-), but I enjoyed reading the advice anyway.

jenny said...

that is a great website. a lot of good info for all ages, thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

When my mom was in town she brought Elizabeth one of my old baby dolls from home. Elizabeth immediately named the doll "Kensie" after her good little buddy. =) We also have listened to the Frog and Toad on CD several times and Elizabeth loves it! She follows the story and turns the pages right a long with it; its given me a few entra minutes with Dallin too. Thanks again! We miss you guys!

claire said...

Laura, that is so sweet, I'm touched. I'm glad she is liking her book and CD. We miss you guys too.

As you can see I've ignored the blog this month! Too busy!

Unknown said...

Claire-
So glad you like the Tweens section of the YourParentingSolutions.com site! I wanted to let you know that I loved your post about stem cells in breast milk. I hadn't heard Cregan talk about the implications of his finding. I blogged about it the other day, and linked to the Garden of Eden. Keep up the good work!
warm regards,
Laura
YourParentingSolutions.com