Saturday, January 5, 2008

Quick Movie Reviews

Recently I saw Atonement, The Water Horse, and the Great Debators.

Atonement: Saw this with Carlton on our Anniversary (15 years!). It was very well done, and a compelling story and really great cinemetography, set design, sound design, etc. There is an amazing five minute shot of Dunkirk with 1800 extras.

The Water Horse- Saw this with my dad, stepmother, Carlton and kids over the break. It was okay- a few big holes in the story, and actually pretty scary at moments, which was not the way the film is sold during the previews. Kensington declared it "too yowd" and also "too tary." The kid who plays the lead was excellent though (also loved him in Millions).

The Great Debators- Saw this last night with two friends. Very compelling story and imagery, some weak casting in my opinion. Will want to see deleted scenes when it comes out on DVD since I think there was minor story line that was cut out (Wilson, the butler at Harvard) that left me wondering.

1 comment:

VirtualM said...

I only saw "The Atonement", and agree that it was good. I went with my mom because she knew my dad wouldn't see it with her. The five minute shot kind of left me scratching my head, though, in that it was kind of a POV shot and kind of not a POV shot - I wasn't really sure about the filmmaker's intentions. I'll have to read more about it - the whole shot looked digital to me, so it's interesting to know that there were 1800 extras! With the way films are made nowadays, I just assume anything done on a big scale like that is fake.