Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Another One Bites the Dust- or, First I Was Riding My Bike, Then I Wasn't- UPDATED







The phone rang last Friday as we were expecting our friends over for dinner..... it was C.. "I fell off my bike." He'd been riding his bike to and from work (6 miles!) to stay in shape, reduce his carbon footprint, and save gas. He hit a part of the curb at a weird angle and his bike went one way and he went the other in front of a Wendy's on Peachtree Road. He needed stitches in his chin and ended up with a broken radius (it was a stable fracture so he only needed to wear a sling for the weekend) and sprained his wrist and elbow and had some pretty gross road rash. The bike is fine, however.

He was tough through the stitches (didn't hurt that the PA who did them was pretty and kind) and were out of there in less than 4 hours. Thanks the the B/S family for caring for and feeding our kids! He is healing well and will be back at the orthopedist in a couple weeks for follow up. He's got a new pair of glasses on order out of the episode.

Thanks for all your well wishes! Carlton is mostly healed up, and will see the orthopedist this week for follow-up (his wrists are not quite back to normal). Just to be clear, he DID have on a helmet, or else things could have been a lot worse! In fact, I had to clean little tiny bits of black bike-helmet foam out of his PORES on his forehead where his head and the sidewalk were the bread of a bike-helmet sandwich.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carlton, you were an awfully good sport to pose for those pictures. I think I might not have been so patient. (So what else is new.)

Hope you're healing quickly!

Randy

Heather said...

Ouch! I say he's brave to ride his bike in Atlanta, anyways...those streets aren't too bike-friendly...way to go, C! Here's to a speedy recovery!

VirtualM said...

Yay for crashing right by PRUMC. But boo for crashing at all. Amazing that the bike comes away unscathed!
And thanks, C, for coming by and helping with our cabinets (and making inappropriate jokes; we can always count on you for that.)

Anonymous said...

Ouch!!! We're thinking of you.

-- the Texas clan

Jacki said...

Oh that is horrible. See what happens when you do kind things for Mother Earth. She'll get you every time!

wendy_d23 said...

i love how in the midst of disaster, you can pull out your camera and document it for us to see! I am glad C seems to be much better now, has he given it up then, or is going to start riding again soon?

jenny said...

glad he survived the fall (both his physical self and his pride..hee hee). and claire, it is so nice to see you blogging again. i had heard you were lost in the abyss of facebook, i've yet to try it, but i hear it's addictive.

Laura said...

This makes my stomach churn just looking at the pictures. Way to go for riding to work...hopefully this doesn't deter him. Kind of makes you want to get a bike helmet though.

Laura said...

I just showed Craig this post because he bought a bike to ride to work every day. I guess I missed the last paragraph saying that he WAS wearing a helmet...good thing!

Laura said...

Oh, okay...once again its me. I just realized that you updated your earlier version so thats why I didn't see that he was wearing a helmet. =)

Nikki said...

I can feel his pain just looking at these shots...seriously good natured to stop and let you take photos! I took a spill like this back in college in Chico, California...minus the broken bones. It was miles from town in some orchard area and before cell phones...I think I limped and cried my way back to my dorms! I am so glad he had his helmit on! -nikki