Sunday, February 24, 2008

White Chili

Here is my friend Kathy's recipe for White Chili that we made for the church 'Linger Longer' this afternoon. It's pretty easy to make and was very well received. I can't personally say how good it was since Carlton and I were too busy organizing to get any of it! We did double the white pepper and hot sauce and didn't bother with the garnishes since it was a pot luck situation. Enjoy, and thanks Kathy!

White Chili

12 servings

3 cans of White Northern Beans

1 small can of fire roasted green chilies

1 stick butter

2 large onions, chopped

½ cup flour

4 cups low sodium chicken broth ( can add a little more broth to stretch)

3 cups half and half

4 cups shredded cooked chicken (I use one rotisserie chicken)

1 TBSP chili powder

1 TBSP ground cumin

1 TBSP Hot Pepper Sauce

2 teaspoons Salt

½ teaspoon white pepper

Garnishes:

Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese (6oz)

Sour Cream

Fresh Cilantro

Melt butter in a heavy large stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender. Add flour and stir 5 minutes (do not brown). Gradually whisk in chicken broth and half and half. Simmer gently until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add drained and rinsed white beans, roasted chilies, chicken and seasonings above. Chili is better made one day or several hours ahead.

5 comments:

wendy_d23 said...

Thank you! I should have been helping more, but I knew it would go fast, so I went and stole a bowl early on. Even Tad said it was worth making again, which for him to say is HUGE! I can't wait to make it again, though I doubt it will be as good.

Jacki said...

I was so upset because I saw all these bowls of filled with white chili and by the time I made it through the line, it was all gone!!! I am glad I can make it now.

Mel-o-drama said...

oh, i want to linger longer with you guys!!! invite us next time

Anonymous said...

I'm making the famous chili for friends on Saturday!!!! This recipe will now be a Texas favorite and I'll credit ya'll.
Meg

claire said...

btw Kathy says she often only puts in half the butter and one onion if that suits anyone.